"A Cidade de Angra na Ilha de Iesu Xpo da Tercera", Bry, Theodore de
Period: 1601 (published)
Publication: Tertia Pars Indiae Orientas, Part III
Color: Black & White
22.5 x 16 inches
57.2 x 40.6 cm
A very detailed view of the island of Tercera in the Azores most prominently showing the town of Angra. From their discovery by the Portuguese in the 1400s, the Azores were an important re-supply point for ships sailing across the Atlantic and to Asia via the Cape. This birds-eye view is a slight reduction of Linschoten's rare view of Tercera from his Itinerario. The title cartouche, coats of arms of Portugal and the Azores, and two decorative text boxes dominate the upper part of the map. A compass rose and another decorative text box, crediting Linschoten and describing the island, are at the bottom. The map is decorated with numerous arriving and departing ships in the harbor and a large and extremely complex compass rose. The fort of S. Sebastiao and several major buildings are located. On two sheets, unjoined as issued.
One sheet slightly toned. Tissue repair of a couple of minor tears at sides and folds reinforced with tissue.