"Map of that part of the Mineral Lands adjacent to Lake Superior ceded to the United States by the Treaty of 1842 with the Chippewas", U.S. Government
Period: 1845 (dated)
Publication: Pub. Serial 461, Sen. Doc 175. 28th Cong. 2nd Sess..
Color: Hand Color
44.8 x 35.8 inches
113.8 x 90.9 cm
Subtitled: "Comprising that District between Chocolate River and Fond du Lac under the superintendence of Gen. John Stockton, U.S. Agent." This uncommon map was compiled partly from explorations made in 1844 by the Mineral Lands Agency at Copper Harbor, partly from a map published by S.D.U.K. and drawings from U.S. Surveys by Dr. Houghton, W.A. Burt, Nicollet & Bayfield. Mineral tracts are located and numbered, with leased tracts indicated by hand coloring. It shows the trap range of northern Michigan, locations of the American Fur Company Posts and Catholic/Methodist Missions. Large inset map of Lake Superior, and engraved view of Camp Gray near Talcott Harbor.
Issued folding, now pressed and backed with archival tissue. A couple insignificant spots.