"Cripplegate Ward with it's Division into Parishes According to a New Survey", Cole, Benjamin
Subject: England - London
Period: 1756 (published)
Publication: Maitland's History and Survey of London
Color: Black & White
9.2 x 14 inches
23.4 x 35.6 cm
These copperplate engravings were published in William Maitland's History and Survey of London, 1756. They are very detailed maps of the streets, lanes, alleys and courts in the ancient City of London. They are richly embellished with architectural profiles of major churches or important buildings, the arms of the mayor and aldermen, elaborate title cartouches and compass roses.
Plan of Cripplegate Ward at the north-west corner of the City of London, running north from Cheapside by way of Wood Street, Milk Street and Aldermanbury to London Wall, St Giles Church and Fore Street, Red Cross Street, White Cross Street, Grub Street (Milton Street), Golden Lane and the Barbican. The map is decorated with a rococo cartouche, the arms of the contemporary alderman of the ward (John Blachford) and an elevation of St Luke's Hospital for Lunatics.