"A New and Accurate Survey of the Parishes of St. Andrews Holbourn, without the Freedom, St. George Queen Square…", Cole, Benjamin
Subject: England - London
Period: 1756 (published)
Publication: Maitland's History and Survey of London
Color: Black & White
9 x 14 inches
22.9 x 35.6 cm
These copperplate engravings were published in William Maitland's History and Survey of London, 1756. They are very detailed maps of the streets, lanes, alleys and courts in the ancient City of London. They are richly embellished with architectural profiles of major churches or important buildings, the arms of the mayor and aldermen, elaborate title cartouches and compass roses.
A handsome map of Islington and the smaller parishes of Holborn and Clerkenwell to the south, decorated with a fine rococo cartouche and a compass rose. The then rural town of Islington is shown as far north as Canonbury House. Upper Street and Lower Street are clearly marked and, to the south, the much more heavily built up area from Queen Square and Great Ormond Street across to Bunhill Row and the Artillery Ground.