"St. Helena - This Island Belongs to ye English East India Company... [on sheet with] The Bay of Agoa de Saldanha - This Bay Is 70 Miles North of ye Cape of Good Hope...", Moll, Herman
Subject: St. Helena & South Africa
Period: 1735 (circa)
Publication: Atlas Minor
Color: Hand Color
8 x 10.9 inches
20.3 x 27.7 cm
This sheet features a beautifully engraved map of St. Helena in the upper half of the sheet. The lower map details a bay about 70 miles north of today's Cape Town and notes that there was an earlier plan to make a settlement there. Both include good topographical detail, handsome compass roses, and rhumb lines.
References: Shirley (BL Atlases) T.MOLL-9a #39.
A sharp impression on watermarked paper with light offsetting and a short centerfold separation in the left blank margin.