"Dioecesis Stavangriensis, & Partes Aliquot Vicinae, Opera L. Scavenii, S.S.", Blaeu, (Family)
Period: 1640 (circa)
Publication: Theatrum Orbis Terrarum
Color: Hand Color
19.8 x 16.4 inches
50.3 x 41.7 cm
This fine map shows the Bishopric of Stavanger and the adjacent regions from the work of Laurids Clausen Scavenius, the bishop of Stavanger from 1605 to 1626. The map locates the major villages and towns and presents reasonable coastal detail. However, the interior topography is not very accurate with Opslo Tellemarck shown as a large empty region, save for a large lake and a notation describing the road from Stavanger to Hallengdal as "very hard due to the steepness of the mountains." The map is beautifully embellished with two coats of arms, four sailing ships and two fine cartouches. Latin text on verso, published between 1640-43.
References: Ginsberg (Scandia) #CE51; Van der Krogt (Vol. II) #1310:2.
A fine impression on watermarked paper with minor soiling. Professionally remargined at top with a portion of neatline skillfully replaced in facsimile.