"Cantebrigia, Opulentissimi Angliae Regni…", Jansson, Jan
Subject: Cambridge, England
Period: 1657 (circa)
Color: Hand Color
17.5 x 12.8 inches
44.5 x 32.5 cm
This plan of Cambridge originally appeared in Braun & Hogenberg's Civitates Orbis Terrarum in 1575. Jansson acquired the plate after the death of Abraham Hogenberg. He removed the figures in the foreground and published it in his town books. Braun described the colleges of Cambridge as "built with such grandeur and magnificence that you might think they were royal palaces and not accommodation for students." The plan provides an excellent view of these colleges and the beautiful surrounding countryside. A key at top identifies 19 locations including Peterhouse, King's College, Jesus College, Christ College, Magdalen College, and the castle that was built by the Normans in 1068. The Latin title is sometimes confused with Canterbury because Cambridge was originally known as Grentabrige or Cantebrigge (Grantbridge), and the river that flowed through it was called the Granta. Over time the name of the town changed to Cambridge and the river became known as the River Cam. Latin text on verso.
There is an unobtrusive rust hole in the plan and a couple of filled worm holes in the bottom margins.