"[Lot of 6] Mapemonde Planisphere ou Carte Generale du Monde [and] l'Amerique Septentrionale [and] L'Amerique Meridionale [and] Asia [and] Africa Selou les Autheurs les plus Modernes [and] Europa Selon les Auth. les plus Modernes", La Feuille, Daniel de
Subject: World & Continents
Period: 1701 (circa)
Color: Hand Color
8.5 x 6 inches
21.6 x 15.2 cm
A handsome set of small maps displaying several interesting cartographic myths that were prevalent at the turn of the 18th century. Sizes vary slightly.
1) Mapemonde Planisphere ou Carte Generale du Monde - Generale Wareld Kaart presents the world as a simple double hemisphere showing the island of California, partially mapped Australia and New Zealand and still a good bit of the southern continent labeled Terres Antarctiques.
2) L'Amerique Septentrionale - Noord America also features the island of California and a prominent Mississippi River with the Rio Bravo ou de Nort (Rio Grande) becoming its tributary just before emptying into the Gulf of Mexico, much too far west. At upper left, a pictorial cartouche displays natives, a serpent and a lizard.
3) Zuyd America - L'Amerique Meridionale shows South America with two large, spurious lakes. In the cartouche, natives offer gifts to a European while a rather alarming serpent looks on.
4) The map of Asia presents a nearly circular Japan with some odd nearby islands and coasts. The map is topped with a cartouche guarded by a warrior and an elephant.
5) Africa Selou les Autheurs les plus Modernes shows a quite up-to-date Africa flanked with armorial shields for major nations. The decorative cartouche depicts natives smoking and trading.
6) Europa Selon les Auth. les plus Modernes is also flanked by armorial shields for the kingdoms. The cartouche features the mythical Europa riding Zeus in the form of an aquatic bull.
References: Map 2: McLaughlin #147.
Nice impressions and original color. There are a few spots of foxing scattered throughout the maps and faint toning on folds, which have been professionally reinforced with light tissue on verso. Map 5 has a repaired marginal tear not affecting the map.