"[Lot of 5 - Civil War in Virginia]", Bowen & Co., John T.
Period: 1862 (dated)
Publication: Pope's Report to the Committee on the Conduct of the War
Color: Black & White
A fascinating set of Civil War battle maps produced by Maj. Gen. John Pope for his contribution to the 1863 report to Congress' Joint Committee of the War Department. The set of five includes:
1) Map of the Field Operations of the Army of Virginia During the Months of July and August 1862, 16.5 x 14.3". The largest map in the set, it shows the area from Charlottesville to Washington, DC. This map has a 4" closed tear into map.
2) Battle of Manassas, Va. Close of the Action August 29th 1862, 8.8 x 6.3".
3) Map Showing the Positions of Both Armies August 27th 1862 at Night, 9 x 5.8".
4) Position of Troops at Sunset August 28th 1862, 8.8 x 6.2".
5) Battlefield of Cedar Mountain August 9th 1862, 6.1 x 8.8".
References: Stephenson (CW) 465.67; 573.5; 573.6; 573.7; 526.5.
All with a little toning along folds, and a couple with archival tape on verso to support folds or close splits.