"[Lot of 2] Plan of the City Intended for the Permanent Seat of the Government of the United States… [and] Plan of the City of Washington in the Territory of Columbia", U.S. Government
Subject: District of Columbia
Period: 1895-1905 (circa)
The first map is a reprint of the original plan of the Federal City as envisioned by Pierre Charles L’Enfant. The original currently rests in the Library of Congress. In May of 1887, the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey was charged with the task of copying the original manuscript and making available reproductions for use in land disputes and other legal aspects relating to the territory of the District of Columbia and other national survey matters. The plan remained in the custody of the agency until it was transferred to the LOC in 1918. Several variations of the plan were sold by the USC & GS from 1893 until 1991. An extensive note in the margin dated 1887 from the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey affirming the accuracy of this reproduction traced from the original "dilapidated" manuscript. It is in printed color (30 x 19"). L'Enfant, Washington D.C., Norris Peters.
The second is a terrific photo-lithographic facsimile (21.8 x 17") by the Norris Peters Co. It depicts the original 1792 plan of Washington D. C. engraved by James Thackara and John Vallance. The original plate is identified as No. 3035 in the upper left corner. A fine pair of matching maps that appear to have been reissued circa 1900 based on printing method and paper.
Both folding as issued. Former with tiny binding trim tear closed on verso with archival tape.