"[Lot of 7 - Civil War]", U.S. War Department
Subject: United States - Southeast
Period: 1866 (published)
Publication: Report to the Committee on the Conduct of the War
Color: Black & White
This fine set of maps portrays various Civil War campaigns as published in Major General J.G. Foster's report. These seven maps were published by Bowen & Co. of Philadelphia soon after the end of hostilities. Lot includes:
1) Sketch showing position of Besieging Batteries April 12-13, 1861. (9.1 x 7.3") Intersection split with small loss in blank area. Ref: Stephenson 386.5.
2) Sketch showing position of Boyd's Neck, Honey Hill, and Devaux' Neck, in Decr. 1864. (8.4 x 7.3") Ref: Stephenson 359.5.
3) A. Sketch of Roanoke Island, N. C. (7 x 6.6") Ref: Stephenson 317.1.
4) B. Sketch showing route of the Burnside Expedition (6.1 x 12.1") Ref: Stephenson 317.12.
5) C. Sketch showing the route to Newbern, pursued by the Burnside Expedition, March 13, & 14, 1862. (6.8 x 8.5") Ref: Stephenson 316.8.
6) D. Sketch showing the route pursued in the advance to Goldsboro, N. C. in Dec. 1862. (7 x 9.5") Ref: Stephenson 316.5.
7) E. Sketch showing the position of the attacking and defending forces at the Siege of Washington, N. C. March 29 to April 16, 1863. (8.3 x 11.8") Small tape repair. Ref: Stephenson 317.4.
Folding, as issued. Maps vary between good and very good. Some with light toning along fold.