"Insula D. Helenae sacra coeli clementia et aequabilitate…", Bry, Theodore de
Subject: St. Helena
Period: 1589 (circa)
Color: Hand Color
11.21 x 8.4 inches
28.5 x 21.3 cm
Profile view of the small Atlantic island of St. Helena with Linschoten's fleet of ships in the foreground. The island was an important re-fueling stop for ships in the South Atlantic providing fresh water, fruit and meat to the early explorers. Two large, and very elaborate, strapwork cartouches feature the Portuguese coat-of-arms and a dedication to the Fugger family of merchants and financiers. It is further embellished with a very fine compass rose.
Issued folded with folds reinforced with tissue. Narrow margins.