This copper engraving is from a remarkable series of publications, illustrating voyages of discovery and travels of exploration to various parts of the world. The project was begun by Theodore de Bry of Frankfurt, in 1590 and was to continue for another 54 years. They became known collectively as the Grands Voyages (to America and the West Indies) and the Petits Voyages (to the Orient and the East Indies). De Bry died after the first six parts of the Grands Voyages were completed. The project was completed initially by his widow and two sons, Johann Theodore de Bry and Johann Israel de Bry, then by his son-in-law, Matthaus Merian in 1644.
The illustration shows the completed Fort Caroline that was built on an island in the river the French named the May. The fort was laid out in a triangular format and constructed of mounded earth and logs. (This engraving formed the basis for the design and construction of the present day National Park building at Fort Caroline, near Jacksonville, FL). On a full sheet of German text with the equally interesting illustration of Florida natives worshiping a column erected by Captain Ribaut. This is from the edition by Matthaus Merian, who was De Bry's son-in-law.