This very attractive and early map of the town of Halifax and vicinity is commonly referred to as The Porcupine Map for its awkward depiction of a porcupine at lower right. The top of the map is oriented to the west. It includes Bedford "formerly call'd Torrington Bay," Cornwallis Island, and a grid plan of Halifax with fortifications. The map is decorated with coats of arms, the Ensign of Nova Scotia, a Musk Beetle, and the Orange Underwing Tyger and White Admirable butterflies. The seven coats-of-arms are of the baronets of Nova Scotia and include those of Pinkington, Pickering, Longueville, Musgrave, Meredith, Slingsby, and Gascoigne. Issued in the July 1750 issue of Gentlemen's Magazine. Kershaw attributes the map to Moses Harris due to his initials appearing in the vegetation below the title block. However, Jolly credits Thomas Jefferys because the butterflies depicted were a part of a collection advertised in the associated article as being on display at Jefferys' address in Caring Cross.
References: Jolly #GENT-70; Kershaw #813; Sellers & Van Ee #450.
Issued folding and now flat with light printer's ink residue and professional repairs to a few small fold separations at lower left. The sheet has been remargined at left, right and top with some border drawn in facsimile.