This copper engraving is from a remarkable series of publications, illustrating voyages of discovery and travels of exploration to various parts of the world. The project was begun by Theodore de Bry of Frankfurt, in 1590 and was to continue for another 54 years. They became known collectively as the Grands Voyages (to America and the West Indies) and the Petits Voyages (to the Orient and the East Indies). De Bry died after the first six parts of the Grands Voyages were completed. The project was completed initially by his widow and two sons, Johann Theodore de Bry and Johann Israel de Bry, then by his son-in-law, Matthaus Merian in 1644.
This is the elaborate title page to the Latin edition of the fifth part of the Grand Voyages. A busy scene depicts both natives and Europeans with a cross being erected by several members of Columbus' crew at top.
On a sheet with a fleur-de-lis watermark. There are two small wormholes and a short wormtrack that have been backed on verso with old paper, and a short edge tear that just enters the engraved image at left. Remnants of hinge tape on verso.