This delicately engraved map is a reduced version of John Smith's map of the Chesapeake Bay region (fourth derivative). Despite its small size, it is filled with towns with both English and Native names, including Jamestown (Iamestowne), and a key to the types of buildings on the left and pictorial topography. Engraved by Pieter van den Keere with his Latinized name appearing below the title cartouche. In this Cloppenburg edition, Keere increased the map size from 5 x 7" to 7 x 10" inches. This is the first edition with French text on verso, published between 1630-1636.
References: Burden #226; Tooley (America) plt. 72; Van der Krogt (Vol. III) #9410:353.
A dark impression with a few faint spots. The sheet has been backed with tissue and remargined at bottom with a small portion of the border drawn in facsimile.