"Map of the Country Adjacent to the Left Bank of the Rio Grande Below Matamoros...", U.S. Government
Subject: Southern Texas
Period: 1847 (dated)
Publication: Sen. Ex. Doc. 65, 31st Congress, 1st Session
Color: Black & White
18.9 x 25.4 inches
48 x 64.5 cm
This topographical map was created by Lieut. John D. Webster with assistance from T.E. Mullomny. It details a strategic portion of the Rio Grande from Matamoros to Boca Chica at the southernmost tip of Texas, an area with significance in the Mexican-American War. Details includes forts, camps, roads and towns, topography by hachure, vegetation, and numerous soundings in the Rio Grande. Fort Brown is located across the Rio Grande from Matamoros. Along the Gulf are located Padre Island, Clark's Island, Brazo Santiago, and Port Isabel. The small settlements of Falcone, Burgos, Tres Quilas, Arenal, and Burrita are located along the Rio Grande, to mention a few. Drawn on the scale of one inch per mile, accounting for the remarkable level of detail.
Issued folding with light to moderate toning that is especially pronounced at the top left panel and light offsetting. There is a 3" tear in the top left panel and several fold separations, all of which have been closed on verso with archival tape.