Click to see full size image(s)
** Closed **
By: Anthony Finley
Date: 1824 (circa)
Publication: A New General Atlas...
Condition Code: A
See Condition Guidelines
Color: hand color
Size: 8.6 x 11.2 inches
21.9 x 28.5 cm
First edition of this handsome map of Mississippi that details the county seats, roads, towns and settlements, and watershed. Development is primarily in the southern portion and mostly along the rivers with virtually no other settlements noted. Monroe is the only county in the north, which was carved out of Chickasaw Indian lands where Cotton Gin Port is located. The early U.S. government built a cotton gin here in 1801 as part of a "plan of civilization" for the Chickasaw Indians. The huge Choctaw Indians region occupies the middle section. In it are noted three missionary stations: Mayhew, Elliott and Monroe, plus the Old Agency, and Yazoom Lower Town. The map shows 18 counties, correct for about 1822, plus the Choctaw and Chickasaw Indian areas. Engraved by Young & Delleker. Finley published his atlases annually between 1824-1834, with one final edition appearing in 1836 (Ristow states his last atlas was 1834).
Condition Description: Original color with light staining confined to the blank margins.
Ref: Phillips (Atlases) #752-28; Ristow pp 268-70.