Antique Map Auction Sale No. 127 - closed 2/25/2009
This beautifully rendered bird's-eye view shows Lisbon from the sea with several three-masted sailing ships and many smaller local boats in the foreground and in the port. Lisbon has been an important port since about 585BC when it was earlier on occupied by the Alaric, Visigoths and the Moors. Beginning in 407BC it was a Roman colonia. Various raids and occupations took place until 1390 when it became an archbishopric. The sixteenth century saw the city attain great wealth and stature with the establishment of the Portuguese sea-borne empire. Below the view a large table, which continues into the upper corners, identifies 140 important buildings by number. Locates the Castello de Sao Jorge, Sao Vicente de For a, and the Nossa Senhora do Monte to mention a few. The affluence and vibrancy of the city is evident in this finely engraved bird's-eye view. Illustrated in full color in Goss. French text on verso.