Antique Map Auction Sale No. 110 - closed 3/2/2005
Attractive coastal view of the island of Luanda (Angola). The name means "flat land" as the island has no mountains and is comprised only of sand deposited by the Kwanza river. The island was colonized by the Portuguese in 1575 and became a major center for the slave trade. Between 1641 and 1648, the city was occupied by the Dutch, which is the period depicted here. Keys in upper corners in both Dutch and English. On two joined sheets, as issued.